Science-based, tech-enabled foundational reading program to help all students reach reading proficiency by the end of third grade.
Newly Expanded Reading Horizons Discovery®
COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
Facilitate whole-class and small-group instruction with an engaging approach, so all students learn and practice reading, spelling, writing, and decoding skills. Newly expanded to include daily lessons to support phonemic awareness.
ENGAGING DIGITAL SUITE
Aligned interactive lessons for students to practice phonological awareness and decodable texts to apply phonics skills to the point of automatic word recognition. Real-time assessment suite to support students’ progress and inform instruction. Newly expanded to include a: Digital Sound Wall to help students learn each of the 44 phonemes in the English language and the associated graphemes.
FOCUSED PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
Ongoing professional learning to help guide and align instructional practices with reading science. This includes in-person or virtual training and coaching, on-demand resources, and a digital library.
Get free foundational reading resources by signing up!
Reading Horizons Discovery® Sound City
Reading Horizons Discovery® Sound City Daily Phonemic Awareness Lessons Manual
Our daily phonemic awareness lessons address phonological and phonemic awareness for students in grades K–2. The manual includes five-minute teacher-led lessons that can be used for review at the beginning of each daily phonics lesson. Embedded assessment tools are used to identify gaps in phonemic awareness and to monitor student progress.
- Follows the gradual release of responsibility model including scaffolded instruction for students who need extra support.
- Lessons focus on two tasks at a time to build accuracy and automaticity.
- Is sequenced in a systematic and explicit manner, starting with larger phonological units and progressing to more sophisticated phoneme patterns (e.g. CV, VC, CVC, CVCC, etc.).
- Provides assessments, review activities, and games to ensure student mastery, retention, and engagement.
Reading Horizons Discovery® Sound Wall
Our Sound Wall materials facilitate student knowledge of the 44 phonemes in the English language and their associated graphemes. These skills promote proper sound articulation and lay the foundation for deeper phonemic awareness, phonics, and spelling instruction.
- Teacher’s Manual with 44 direct-instruction lessons; one for each phoneme in the English language
- A portable sound wall for each student
- Classroom sound wall posters (Vowel Valley and Consonant Corner)
- Phoneme Cards for use during instruction and review
- Digital sound wall software
Reading Horizons Discovery® provides scripted lesson manuals for teachers that help them know how to model and scaffold a research-based approach for teaching reading. The materials are designed to increase student engagement and facilitate the transfer of knowledge from instruction to application resulting in fluent reading.
- Aligns instruction with reading science & structured literacy
- Allows for differentiated instruction for all students
- Provides multisensory instruction and practice
- Reinforces instruction with decodable text
- Connects phonics and spelling instruction
- Builds teacher confidence
Assessment and Progress Monitoring
Reading Horizons Discovery® uses a series of assessments and skill checks to establish benchmarks, measure growth, ensure mastery, and to accurately differentiate instruction. All lesson and assessment data can be reviewed by teachers and administrators through the administration system.
- Phonemic Awareness Assessment
- Most Common Words Assessment
- Spelling/Word Recognition Assessment
- Reading Assessment (created in partnership with MetaMetrics® using the Lexile® Framework for Reading—software add-on)
- Chapter Tests
- Lesson Skill Checks and Check-Ups
From Decoding to Fluent Reading
Decoding skills are crucial for fluent reading, but they are not the end goal of reading instruction. To help students transfer these skills to reading fluency and comprehension, Reading Horizons Discovery® includes additional tools and activities to encourage the transfer of these skills to higher-level reading tasks.
Take your spelling instruction beyond a memorized list. The Reading Horizons Discovery® Spelling Supplement provides teachers with an explicit guide for teaching students in grades 1-3 how to encode words and prove they are spelled correctly.
Interested? Take the next step.
For more information about the Reading Horizons Discovery® program, schedule a call with your representative today.